Pillar Box Post is a lifestyle blog updated several times a week with a focus on design, interiors & a bit of my life in London, run by myself, Brittany.
If you’re a reader of of Pillar Box Post, you probably feel like you already know me, being privy to my endless ramblings about Olive Juice ( my minx of a French bulldog), the charming Mr. Pillarboxpost ( my minx of an English husband). But, if you’re new, this list of ten should get you up to speed. While you are at it, you might want to see if you can pick out the lie.
- I’m a graphic designer by day (and evenings, mornings and especially after midnight)
- I was born and raised in Pennsylvania until a chance stay in England landed me an English love. England has been my home for nearly six years ( most of them in London). I am now a dual citizen of the US & the UK.
- I love rain, which is a lucky thing living in England, but I really go mental for thunderstorms and snow (sadly, not often occurrences in the UK)
- I find it literally impossible to not be happy if I hear a Hall & Oates song (okay realistically, probably only their top 5 hits). Same applies to the Tears for Fears song, Everybody wants to rule the world.
- I’ve nearly filled my passport with stamps over the past 9 years…but according to a travel website I’ve only visited 8% of the countries in the world. Challenge accepted.
- I love my grass green bicycle, Betsy, and anthropomorphic animals (that’s animals wearing clothing or with human attributes).
- On second thought, perhaps the human attributes aren’t just limited to the animals…let’s put objects in that pile as well shall we?
- I love cheese, especially brie, camembert and muenster.
- If given the chance, I could spend weeks reading books in a pool on holiday. On a week away I can average about 8 novels, which creates a bit of a pickle when keeping our baggage under the weight limit.
- I have a quote hanging above my desk that says ‘ If you want to be interesting, be interested, ‘ which I really believe in…so in July of 2009, Pillar Box Post started as a place for inspiration as well as a chronicle of things that make me tick. Enjoy!
You can say…email@example.com
*The lie? I hate cheese..seriously. I can eat pizza and a few other select dishes, but otherwise, keep. it. away.
Times Online 50 of the world’s best design blogs 2009
wordpress.com home page, ‘freshly pressed’–a daily curation of the ‘best of wordpress’
Dorset Cereals little blog awards winner – August 2010
So what is a pillar box exactly? A pillar box is a free standing post box found in the United Kingdom, that were first used in 1852 and were an imitation of a device used in Paris described as a “letter receiving pillar”.
The standard colour is red, which is so iconic that the particular shade is often called “pillar box red” in paints etc… They are a fantastic piece of British design, like the red telephone box and the red double decker buses. What a fabulous link to the posting of my daily ‘letters’…or at least that is what I thought…
Also in pillar box trivia today…Danger mouse and penfold cartoon lived in a pillar box. Penfold is the name of a texagonal style of mailbox. Sadly, they didn’t live in that style of box in the show…irony or laziness?