B is for Baby Artwork

Last year when one of my best friends announced she was pregnant I was obviously excited for her and her husband and then quite quickly moved onto…’right, so what am I going to make for her…” This brain movement happens a lot, but what doesn’t happen a lot is that actual making. I just never make the decisions or put the plan into action. BUT FINALLY it’s happened, granted it’s 9 months after the birth, but better late than never!

As I’ve mentioned before I have a bit of a thing for origami, so it seemed like a good place to start when creating something child appropriate artwork. I initially intended to make a bit of a chaotic animal scene, but it was proving too taxing so it morphed into a bit of a name/alphabet game. I worked in some personal things like pets names as well as other ‘boy’ related items. Next I created patterns and textures, developed the (sad to say) probably unrealistic origami version of the animals and voila 5 x7 cards sized to fit in standard ikea frames to be displayed in a group on a wall, or used as cards or learning tool…possibilities are endless! Whew, the joy of actually finishing something is almost too much to bear, so all I have left to say is Congratulations again Lauren!

• You said, she said...

Leave a comment below

• ldnecker said on November 8, 2010 12:30 pm

My very own post, boy do I feel special! We love the art so very much – I just have to get to Ikea and I’ll post what they look like in his room.

Thank you for your creative genius, my dear!

• Darcy said on November 8, 2010 8:22 pm

Brit these are adorable and you are amazing!

• Kirsteen said on November 8, 2010 8:41 pm

These are absolutely beautiful. The doggies are my favourite!!

• Pillar Box Post said on November 8, 2010 11:08 pm

My pleasure! I’m so pleased you like them…and I apologize for forcing a trip to Ikea on you. I won’t be offended if you don’t want to frame them! Or if you do, I”m sure they fit in other frames, I just had Ikea frames in the house and thought better standard to something than nothing…

Love Britt

• Pillar Box Post said on November 8, 2010 11:09 pm

Why thank you Darcy, pleasure seeing you around these parts! Are you next on the list for baby artwork? Get your order in now!

• Pillar Box Post said on November 8, 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks Kirsteen,

The doggies are labradors (after my friends two black labs) which was a real struggle for me as a ‘doggie’ to me is a french bulldog. A WHOLE different figure! They were fun…I hope to do more!

-Brittany

• Lauren said on November 9, 2010 9:06 pm

LOVE THESE! The giraffe is my favorite. I can’t help but think Fatzio was your inspiration. Well done ;-)

• Wrenaissance Art said on November 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Lovely work. I like the 1940′s feel with the palette and type.
    Did you print them on an inkjet canvas, or just a strongly textured paper?

• Pillar Box Post said on November 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Thank you! It’s a bit of both…there was some texture in the actual illustrations, which were then printed on an inkjet printer…but onto textured paper (well card). So many layers!
    Brittany

• Clare said on November 13, 2010 10:35 am

These are fab Britters! I hope you’re going to put them on Etsy?

• Mutte said on November 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Brittany, these are FANTASTIC! At first I didn’t realize these were your own work and was thinking “How do you find all these great designs to post?”.
    Then I remembered that you were starting to work on these when I was visiting you. God has truly gifted you!

My favorite is the “C”.
    - I love the combination of the serifed “C” with the embroidered script “Cutter” (and the subtle connection of Cutter and sailing vessels and “sailing” paper airplane)
    - love the retro design of the pond and the background muted aqua.
    - the phrase “little man with 3 names”
    - color scheme and design of entire group is so fresh!

• Julia said on November 23, 2010 7:51 pm

These are amazing! So nicely done, would you ever consider selling PDFs of the design? I’ve been looking for a stylish alphabet for ages…