Makebetter Project: Ercol Chair Covers

I’m on a roll lately, FINALLY ticking some ‘makebetter projects’ off of my todo lists. Of course as they go off, others go on…no wonder my to do app never drops below 30 items. Anyway, last May I purchased a pair of ercol chairs off ebay. One move and living room palette change later, I’ve finally recovered them to a more suitable light aqua. If you remember my inspiration for the room (oh that lovely Anthro aqua chesterfield!) I had previously decided what I wanted to do with the chairs, but spent months searching for someone to make them for me. I finally relented and bought a sewing machine.

all images by pillarboxpost

I honestly feel like the room feels less cluttered without the pattern! It was my first ‘upholstery’ project and i used a new sewing machine that wasn’t quite up to the job of thick fabric, and I can find lots of flaws BUT they are done and I’m happy! They have already had coffee spilled on them, been washed and are back on, so I think are settling into our place quite nicely!

Want to see the rest of our flat and where we live?

• You said, she said...

Leave a comment below

• pam said on May 11, 2010 11:53 am

Your chairs look amazing – much better without the print. Great job for being your first upholstery job. And I like your wording of makebetter projects…cute. Enjoy the chairs…maybe some coffee in the morning!

• Carol said on May 11, 2010 12:17 pm

They look really nice. Well done!

• Edward Tadros said on May 12, 2010 10:03 pm

We at ercol can make you new covers for your chairs and supply new interiors. If you wish you can provide the fabric, as long as it meets the fire regulations, or you can select from our range. Have a look on our web site. But yours look lovely, nice colour, not bad sewing! Good looking flat too, and you are right the old patterned fabrics made the room smaller, they don’t look like original ercol fabrics, someone has recovered them since new.

• iammichellepham said on May 16, 2010 9:16 pm

What a big difference. Love the robin’s egg blue of the chairs!

M.

• mutte said on May 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Your chairs look great! I hope you are encouraged by your success. Read the comment above from Ercol and went to their website and looked at their catalog-very nice. I especially liked the “originals” which are remakes of Ercol items from the 1940′s and 50′s-particularly the rounded triangular nesting tables.

• Sarah P said on January 3, 2013 5:35 am

Wow! Impressive! I’ve just bought the same type of chair with the aim of sewing new cushion covers. Any advice on how you managed the curved bits?

• Brittany Hurdle said on January 3, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Sarah! I took apart one of the old covers so that I could make a pattern from it, so I could literally pin that piece of fabric onto my new selection, trace and cut out which helped immensely, especially with bits like the flap for over the zipper, which if I would have done without a template I completely would have screwed that up. I’m not sure exactly which curved bit you mean other than the general shape, which I didn’t have too much problem with as you are sewing on the inside and just maintaining the line of fabric so it just kind of worked. Having said that one of the covers was very tight and the other, less so..who knows! My sewing machine was really a poor choice for the kind of fabric I was working with which certainly made things much more difficult. Also, I ended up not doing the piping as was on the original cover..I can’t remember why anymore. i think it might have been a lack of excitement about pieceing together all of the fabric to cover meters and meters of piping. Oh well! I miss my chairs immensely (sold then when we moved to NYC), good luck with yours!
    Brittany

• Sophie said on July 24, 2014 5:31 am

These look great! I’ve just bought two Ercol Windsor chairs which I’m planning to reupholster. I was wondering if you can remember how much fabric you needed for each chair? Thanks!